Congratulations on the inaugural Day of Geography!
There are five programs taught at the Centre of Geographic Sciences within NSCC in Lawrencetown, NS serving direct-entry and post-graduate students. These are:
- Survey Technician measuring the physical world around us to determine the shape and position of objects or features
- Geomatics Engineering Technology delivering practical measurement skills and techniques, as well as the theory behind them
- Geographic Sciences using geomatics tools and technology for Community & Environmental Planning, Remote Sensing, Cartography, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Advanced Marine Geomatics using geomatics to effectively explore, manage, and monitor the marine and coastal environments
- Advanced Geographic Sciences complementing a science degree with geomatics technologies
Graduates have made positive contributions around the world (here’s a voluntary map) and find meaningful careers across the industry spectrum.
The school (in various names; the present had considerable input from Roger Tomlinson) is dedicated to geographic programs and features the Walter K. Morrison Map Collection. We have been teaching programs pertaining to geography since the end of WWII.
For a colourful look at the last 25 years of COGS, check out this article.